Course Length: One semester
Suggested Grade Level(s): 11 12
View samples of our high school curriculum here.
This course explores the history geography and stories of the people whose lives and identities have been influenced by borders.
Via literature film art and music students have the opportunity to hear from those who have often been marginalized. Students will examine borders of all types—physical cultural and psychological—and analyze how borders make an impact on individuals and groups particularly in terms of Latin American populations.
The course is also a journey in self-discovery because it asks students to consider their perspectives and experiences and apply the ideas and themes in the literature to their own life and understanding of the world.
Additional Materials Required
The following books are needed to complete this course:
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
- City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- The Other Side by Juan Pablo Villalobos
- Latin American Literature: Borders and Identities Teacher Edition (optional but recommended)
- Publisher: Oak Meadow Inc.
- Version date: 2024
- Pages: 152
- Binding: Spiral bound
- Product dimensions: 8.5 x 11 inches
- Item weight: 1.50 lbs